Monday, March 8, 2010

Y'all, I made up a RECIPE!

Oh yes I did! I really did! Yes it is a recipe for food thank you very much. Yes, the kind of food you eat. Sheesh!

Ya know, it is always sort of an inadequate feeling for me when I see people posting their great recipes on their blogs. There are beautiful pictures, and little technical tips like, use a measured teaspoon not just one from your utensil drawer. The food sounds so good and looks great and I could probably do it myself if I weren't already SO busy waiting for Oprah to call/ Starbucks to start delivery/ laundry to do itself. Like the fabulous Lisa posted a few weeks ago about her great hand made beans. At the same time that she is insisting on how simple it is to do, she is discussing the hours involved. Hours, plural. She makes her own refried beans y'all. By herself! Reading her words actually makes my swallowing reflex kick in and I am sure I look just a little bit bizarre sitting here all by myself with drool running down my contracting neck, because it sounds sooooooooo gooooooooooood.

Now, I have read over and over about omega 3's and how healthy they are. Especially for children with special needs, and in particular children with mental illness. These fun little omega's are well known to appear in all items Genea ever hated to eat in her whole life. She who has Early Onset Bipolar Disorder is repulsed by all things omega'd. Interesting. Olive oil and flax seed are two of the best ways to get at some of these omega's and I found a way to use them both in a basic bread machine recipe. So here you go.

Get your ingredients together. This is what you need.
3 cups of flour, whatever kind you want
1 package bread machine yeast (note if you buy by the packet it is cheaper than by the box.... now who would have thought that?)
1 cup of warm water
1/4 cup of olive oil ( you can split that with regular vegetable oil if the olive taste is too strong, but I like it that way)
Toss of salt
2 tablespoons of sugar, but it is okay if you just use a big regular spoon. It is also ok to add more. Or less.
AND, the secret ingredient is flax seed. Only, you can't just toss in a bunch of flax seed because they don't digest. And, we all know *ahem* what that means. So I bought a bunch of flax seed and it seriously cost less than 30 cents for a ton of the stuff. Using a coffee grinder, put in a bunch of the seeds and grind them up until you have about 1 cup. A little leftover coffee grounds won't hurt anyone.

Here is the cool part......
Put all ingredients into the bread maker bowl.
Press "start".
Watch it make itself.
Read a magazine. HA!

No really though, it is super easy. If it looks a little dry, add some more oil or water or both. If it is too mushy add more flax seed. 

So there you go. I call it "Brain Bread" and both my girls loved it. Which, right there is a miracle I expect to be reporting to the Vatican!

18 comments:

  1. cool - I try in many ways to get my kids to get more Omega 3's. And we just aren't fish eaters, so that cuts out one major source. We like our bread, so I might try this. We've also sprinkled the ground flax seed on other things, like oatmeal, or put it in a smoothie. I just call it "sprinkles" so it sounds fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you, that is awesome!!! See, I'm not even willing to make my own bread...the stuff that comes from the store is good 'nuff. So as far as I'm concerned, you're a super-cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cooked bread? Are you the same girl who doesn't have a cookie sheet? (lol) Well, let me just go pick my jaw up off the ground!

    Have you tried putting ground flax in smoothies? I've been making one for the kids (and me) with a banana, frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries, ice, water, a big handful of fresh spinach leaves (you can't taste the spinach at all - seriously! they won't even know!) and then a heaping tablespoon of ground flax. Blend. (You can't taste the flax either, but then again there is only a little over a TBSP in the whole blender-full...and your bread has 1 CUP? Will have to try a little more flax in the blender. But not a cup...maybe 2 TBSPs. =))

    And, I've been on a baking kick, so will have to try your bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You" are baking????!!!! Shocked. Speechless. Seriously.

    I can't bake. Nothing ever turns out. Even in a bread machine. What is up with that??!!

    Embarrassed to say that I didn't know you had to grind up flax seed. The things I learn from my friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow bread, you are moving up int he cooking world! baking is harder than cooking, we will get to use a crock pot, it is not hard, like a bread maker but better because once you put all the stuff inside it makes dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We take fish oil capsules every day. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on cooking skills. And the kids are like yours about anything with omega's. So ignorant me has to ask what to do if you don't have a coffee grinder! I didn't know you ground flax seed. Duh on me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saint Essie, indeed - except as one of the third graders pointed out to me the other day - you have to have THREE miracles. We'll wait.

    BTW this is, of course a sort of TTT.
    Essie posts a recipe.

    Seriously, this is helpful because, not even knowing the value of flaxseed, I bought some to put in my bread, however, I've been putting it in whole, and obviously wasting it's value. My entire winter would have been different, I suppose, if only I'd ground the stuff - no CPS investigations, no holiday embarrassment, etc. Oh, well! Better now than never.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Side note that has nothing to do with your post:

    What happened to The Winding Road blog? It's Laura Pease and their adoption of Dmitry (I think that's how you spell it). Where did she go? Do you have an email address for her? My blogging addresses got messed up recently. Until then, I had her email address.

    Email me please at sweetangelplus4@yahoo.com and let me know if I can contact her someway. I'd love to keep up with her blogging, and checked in regularly over there for years.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. KSN, I just noticed her blog recently went private and I don't have anything else. Wish I did.

    I hope everyone can calm down a little bit. I still don't have a cookie sheet. I don't really consider pressing the "start" button to be serious cooking, but if y'all do, I'll take it!

    Annie- if you had only known! LOL!

    If you don't have a coffee grinder, they cost like $10. You could probably use a blender or one of those processor dealies. But I don't like all the annoying pieces of a processor so I thought of trying the coffee grinder and hoo- wah, it worked.

    SEe, I don't know how much flax seed is a good amount. I didn't see any oil in there after grinding sooooooo.... wouldn't I need a lot of the seeds to equal the nutritional value of the concentration in the oil?

    I will grind up a bunch more and use it in other stuff, good ideas there!

    Fish oil caps are really good too. My kids can't take pills though, let alone a huge-ass capsule. Plus rumor has it they kind of stink and I have other traumatizing childhood tales involving dead fish.... 'nuff said?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I put the ground flaxseed in pancake batter (use 2/3 cup white flour and 1/3 cup whole wheat..sprinkle some flaxseed along with it and it blends right in)..Jupiter sucks the flaxseed right down along with the maple syrup. I mean pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found Laura Pease on facebook. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the "Read A Magazine" part of the recipe!!!!! Now THAT is my kind of cooking, girl!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Before you know it, you'll be touring your very own cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol...yeah, that sounds really difficult. I love the "read a magazine" part...that was my favorite. It does sound good. I wish I had a bread maker now.

    I do cook a lot with Olive Oil, but I guess I need to incorprate Flax Seed oil too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yay to you!!!! sounds great--i'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No way would my kids eat something called "Brain Bread." Just no way. They already suspect me of attempting to poison them whenever I serve anything that looks unfamiliar to them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Call it Booger Bread. Or just call it bread. Or lunch! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you agree or disagree, comment away! However if you are a butthead about it, you may be excised.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...