Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Decision to make

This is such a hard decision to make and I am making myself crazy with it. Yes, crazier than the usual state of crazy that is our baseline over here.

I am going to California for the weekend to a Beyond Consequences seminar. I can NOT decide if I should take my laptop or not and it is making me bonkers!

If I take it, I am not checking any bags and so will have to lug it around and out at the airport and it will take up a lot of room. Plus it is heavy and I will have to go buy a new cord because the one I have is rigged together.

But, I could definitely use it in an unfamiliar city! Where to go, delivery food places, directions, etc. What else would I do, read the phone book? Like some episode of Little House on the Prairie?

My hotel has wireless, but they charge for it. Who does that anymore! Are you serious there is a charge?

See, but here is the biggest problem that I can project ahead of time will be an issue for me. I am going to this here little seminar on Saturday, but other than that, I intend to force all things child from my brain. No little girls. No adoption stuff. No attachment stuff. No research. And, this is the worst and hardest for me.....No Blogs!!!!

I need a break in the worst way. Everyone does. People are struggling on most of the blogs I read. It is a crappy time of year, and must be rough on the kids as well because a lot of them are acting out. But I have gotten very fond of my blog. I check it through, well I am not going to say how many times a day. Just a lot. I think in blog. At the grocery store or whatever, hmm, this is a great idea for a post.

So if I have my laptop, will I have the strength to tear myself away? I expect to have a full day of nothing to do. I am sooooo looking forward to that day! I will want to check in on blogs. I will want to comment. And then, I will want to read backgrounds and early posts on the new blogs I have come across or who have come across me. I won't be able to stop. And then I will have spent my nothing day immersed in kids and adoptions and attachments..... !!!

See? Slippery slope and all that.

Not exactly a life altering decision, not even at the level of should I change my hair decision.
Arghgaala! Can't decide.

9 comments:

  1. I say leave the laptop at home!

    Spend your time pampering yourself.

    The computer, blogs, LIFE, will still be there when you get home!

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it at home, otherwise you will be tempted to do all the things you don't want to do on line. Plus, your hotel should be able to recommend food, shopping and entertainment. That's what the concierge is for. Or, you could just do some research before you go, that way you have an idea of what you want to do and what is available in that area. Then you can take the money you would have spent on internet access and spend it on yourself.

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took mine on my last plane trip. Hated it. Most of the local info can be obtained through my phone, so it's not total withdrawal anyway. Also, I couldn't get my computer to respond to any wireless networks the whole time I was gone, so it ended up being a really bothersome accessory.

    Have a great trip, leave half of what you pack at home, including the laptop:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. leave it home, you can always use the 'front desk' to find the best restarants and sites to see, they know more about the town then the computer. Just bring a pad and pen with you for notes on your seminar, plus things you might want to blog about when you get home. So with that said, "JUST LEAVE IT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. See....I totally want to be selfish and scream, "TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!!" A day without posts and comments from TAM is like a day without coffee. It would just suck.

    Unfortunately I cannot be THAT selfish today because my conscience is working at the moment. Leave it at home! Don't bother taking it. The wireless will suck and every time I take mine with me I come back with a not so pleasant alien living in my pooter which causes me to have to spend money on a tech guy to fix it.

    Of course you could always kidnap someone's computer at Starbucks to keep us all happy. I'll break ya outta jail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so what I hear you all saying is....

    LOL! OK OK! You are right, it will probably be nothing but trouble to deal with. Alyssa's mom, yours is one of the new blogs I wanted to start at the beginning, so that will have to wait. I will bring paper and a whatdaya call it pen thingy.
    I can look up some stuff ahead of time too. Hadn't thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joining in late, but I agree with leave the laptop at home. On this trip, have fun doing things the old-fashioned way: use the concierge's expertise, and use asking about local attractions/eateries as an ice-breaker at the seminar you attend. Alternatively, just hit the street around your hotel and see where the day takes you -- I've found that can be very relaxing and rejuvenating. (If your hotel's out in the boondocks, get into the center of town first and then explore with no agenda for the rest of the day.) Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They probably have computers in the hotel business center, although they will likely not be free to use. But...if you're desperate!

    Also, you could go to the library. Also, if desperate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in L.A. County--what part of L.A. will you be staying at? Maybe I can recommend some good places to hang out. You definitely have to go to Venice Beach.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you agree or disagree, comment away! However if you are a butthead about it, you may be excised.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...